Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The decision has been made

OK. So, I finally made up my mind today to go through with The Big Chop! At 2:02pm, Wednesday, May 19, I called my beautician and made an appointment for Tuesday, May 25 to cut off the rest of my permed ends.

I have not had a perm since the beggining of June 2009. At first, I had no really good reason why I wasn't getting perms. It definitely was not because I wanted to go natural. I think maybe because I was just being lazy! Everytime I would go to the beauty shop and look at my hair, I would ask my beautician "Do you think I can make another week or so before I get a perm?" Each time I would ask, she would get more and more skeptical. She finally started pressing my roots and flat ironing the rest of my hair.

After a while, I realized that my natural hair was very curly and I liked the way it waved up right after I washed it and put it in a ponytail. Sometime in December, I decided to just go ahead and grow my perm out and go all natural. It is now May and I have about an inch and a half of permed hair left. I have gone back to wearing sew ins, so I won't have to mess with my hair much. It seems to help keep all the heat off my head and keep me from messing with my own hair too much, but Geesh! this get's expensive after a while.

I have been seeing more and more people going natural. This girl I know from my High School days has been talking about it on FB and it has been interesting to see her pics and hear her story. So, for the past week, I have been checking others blogs and checking websites for the best natural hair care products. This is a lot of work! There are so many things out there and so many different opinions about each product and how you should take care of your hair.

I am so scared at this point. I really like my curly hair, but am not sure how it is going to look once I wear it out for the first time. I have worn some curly natural looking sew-ins before and they looked fine, but of course the hair I used was much longer than my natural hair and fuller also.

After I do my big chop and see how my hair looks, I still may dabble in the sew-ins and maybe presses until I get my hair the length I want it to be.

Stay tuned for pictures of my journey. I have a sew-in in right now, but will take it down Monday, to prepare myself for Tuesday. I am going to stop by the store today to pick up some products that will hopefully work on my hair. I don't want to have to do a lot of trial and error, but that is probably going to be inevitable.

That's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment